Good mental health and well-being is essential for children to thrive, and their social and emotional well-being is a vital part of this. Therefore, it is important that schools are teaching the skills and understandings to provide intervention. This has been proven to positively impact the academic outcomes achieved by children, their behaviour and attitude.
The benefits of socially and emotionally competent children include:
• Being able to create trusting and positive relationships
• Developing persistence and resilience
• Being able to make connections and empathise with others
• Communicating with others well
• Achieving better at school
• Developing a sense of belonging
• Developing confidence and a positive self-esteem/self-image
Social and Emotional Health: Years 1 – 2 is an excellent resource for teaching the skills and knowledge needed to develop social and emotional well-being strategies in the Lower Primary Years. It provides teaching information, lesson ideas, resources and activity pages linked to the Health and Physical Education ACARA curriculum outcomes. This book is arranged in 4 sections, each focusing on a different element of mental and emotional health.
Author: Alana Meuleman